Friday, June 11, 2010

View From Bennett Avenue

Well I was hoping to post on conference realignment but may as well wait until there is some more definite news. I do find it ironic that on the week that Colorado lost scholarships due to grades, they get welcomed into the Pac 10. But of course their inclusion is solely for their proximity to the Denver market. Of course if the Buffs continue to stink up the joint on the field, the good people of Denver will do something other than watch football each weekend.
The craze for markets is driving a lot of this discussion, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation. For example, I live in New York City where there are about 20 people who care about Rutgers football. I happen to be one of them, but New York City is a pro town except for some folks who liked Seinfeld and Sex in the City and moved here. But those folks still root for the school they went to or their hometown team. They did not switch to Rutgers, which is a good hour drive west and does not warrant any media coverage here in New York. So how does Rutgers bring New York sets to the Big Ten, which already has a ton of graduates of their current schools residing in metropolitan New York City?
Meanwhile I find it hilarious that no one has brought up Boston College and their move to the ACC when discussing all of this musical chairs. Every graduate that I know hates that the Eagles left the Big East. And did all of the extra money they earned by selling out get funneled back into their sports department? The reason I say that is I do not see any improvement from their teams due to any extra cash. Perhaps they will get the last laugh if the Big East folds, but maybe they could have kept it together.
I am off to the beach, from where I will write again about USC. I feel that is appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment