Wednesday, November 23, 2011

View From Bennett Avenue

I am back from my trip and while not recharged at all--in fact I am exhausted--I am still an unabashed believer in college football. Part of the reason is that I was able to witness a fun college football atmosphere while seeing the sport as a part of a larger whole. I think what was best for me was to show some friends the Notre Dame campus, where the game is certainly important but not the be all and end all. There is no mention of football at the basilica or grotto, or in the administration building (topped by the golden dome), etc. And the folks in Boston College regalia looked a lot like the ones sporting the green (or more correctly the blue and gold). The game itself had its moments and was certainly the loudest for one without much national intrigue that I have ever witnessed.
Would I be so relieved if they had lost? Probably not. Does it eliminate all of my misgivings about the nature of the sport and the type of individual it attracts? Certainly not. But the sport is definitely worth fighting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment