Saturday, December 8, 2012

Heisman Pick

This is a compelling Heisman race this year as there are so many ways a voter can go and be justified.  I am not one who views the award as a player of the year and put a great deal of emphasis on character and leadership.  I also feel that a player's overall body work can break a tie between an upperclassman and a younger player.  I have no problem with defensive players winning the award and would vote for players from any region.  I also watch so much college football that I could care less about a guy having a "Heisman Moment" whatever that is.
And so I would vote for Te'o.  He has everything I would look for in a candidate as he is as good as it gets in the character and leadership departments and is a brilliant backer.  He played well against a tough schedule and also did so for four full years.
I do not have a problem with Manziel being a first-year player but when his opposition has had a Hall of Fame career, he is at a disadvantage.  My main problem with Manziel is that his statistical advantage is not truly legit.  His offensive system produces more plays than the average team and the defenses he has faced this year have been mediocre at best apart from the defenses that had success against him (LSU, Florida 2nd half and Alabama 2nd half).  His top five passing games were against Arkansas, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Mississippi State and SMU.  And his best rushing efforts were against La Tech, Mississippi, Miss State, SMU and Arkansas.  He threw 44 passes in their final game against Missouri, a game that they won by 30.  He threw 38 times against Arkansas despite A&M ultimately winning that game by 48.  I really like Manziel, but enough already with system QBs.

No comments:

Post a Comment